See FAQs about disposing of surplus for information on specific types of surplus.
1. Submit a request
You will need to submit a request using our online Surplus Request Management System (SRMS). The system requires a login ID and password. If you do not have a login, contact us at (360) 407-1917 to get signed up.
2. Your request will be assigned a number and action
Once you submit a request, it will be assigned a surplus authority number within 24 hours. At that time we will also assign an action to be taken:
- Will Inspect – There is a question as to how best to sell your item. Someone from Surplus Operations will visit your site to make a determination on how it should be sold.
- Will Sell at Agency Location – The item will remain where it is and be sold online.
- Will Pick Up – The item will be picked up within 30 days.
- Requests Agency Ship to Surplus – You will need to make arrangements to ship the item to our warehouse.
- Requests Agency Sell – You can sell the item directly.
- Other – This is used to allow you to donate the item, or for other types of disposal not covered by the above actions.
You are able to check the status of your disposal request at any time by logging into the system.
3. Locate your items for easy pickup
To assist us in processing your surplus requests in a timely manner, please help us by doing the following:
- Store all items you are disposing in one location for easy pickup.
- Separate laptops and LCD projectors from other surplus items.
4. Instructions for vehicles and other titled equipment
- Send the title as soon as the disposal request is approved to: Surplus Operations at 7511 New Market Street, Mailstop 41030, Tumwater, WA 98504.
- Sign the title, but do not date it.
- If the vehicle has a rebuilt title, send the damage report with the title.
- If the vehicle is to be picked up by Surplus Operations, ensure it is easily accessible.
- Note any mechanical defects in the comments section of the disposal request (i.e. bad transmission, engine worn out, etc.).