The North Cascades Gateway Center, formerly the Northern State mental hospital, is a state-owned property near the city of Sedro-Woolley that houses educational programs, juvenile jobs training, mental health treatment and other community programs for state, local and federal agencies. The campus is a closed campus and tours are no longer available to the public.
The 225-acre campus, managed by the Department of Enterprise Services, includes 44 buildings with about 630,000 square feet of space. Tenants currently occupy about 350,000 square feet of classroom, administrative, dormitory and treatment facility space.
There are several structurally sound, historic buildings that can be renovated for use by tenants seeking a quiet setting for their clients.
Public agencies seeking a location for government-sponsored, hard-to-site treatment and training programs, or simply a small office space, should consider leasing space at the North Cascades Gateway Center.
In December 2010, North Cascades Gateway Center was identified as surplus to the needs of the state and put on the market to sell. The Gateway Center was removed from the surplus properties list in 2011 when the department determined it could not sell the property for fair market value.
Currently, Skagit County, the city of Sedro-Woolley and the Port of Skagit are collaborating with the state to assess the potential for redevelopment of the North Cascades Gateway Center. The Upper Skagit Tribe is also involved in the study. For more information, visit the Port of Skagit’s website.
North Cascades Gateway Center
2070 Northern State Road
Sedro Woolley, WA 98284
Phone: (360) 856-3160
Fax: (360) 856-3565
The Northern State Hospital, now known as the North Cascades Gateway Center was constructed in 1909 as a state-of-the-art, self-sustaining occupational therapy and treatment facility for the mentally ill. Designed by the Olmsted Brothers, the landscape design firm formed in 1898 by brothers John Charles Olmsted and Frederick Law Olmsted, Jr., the site included patient and staff housing, a dedicated reservoir, lumber mill, quarry, steam plant and more than 700 acres of farming and livestock operations.
The hospital ended operations in 1973. The 700 acre farm and forest land was transferred to Skagit County in 1992. The 225-acre main hospital campus continues to be owned by the state of Washington and managed by the Washington State Department of Enterprise Services.