In its simplest form, a policy is a written record of a workplace rule. They are the framework from which consistent decisions can be made across your agency.
Benjamin Franklin said it best, 'Honesty is the best policy.' While that still holds true, you do need a little more substance.
The Department of Enterprise Services has developed model policy templates for you, which are well written and easy to understand. With these policies you will be able to establish clear guidelines for your employees to follow.
What do you need to do?
- Determine policies to be in effect with your agency.
- Select one of the policy templates below and update the agency information in the draft.
- Have your Management Team meet to review, discuss, and suggest edits.
- If any edits are made, please send the draft to your Labor Relations Section Staff for their approval.
- If your agency has represented employees, please refer to their Collective Bargaining Agreement for instruction on their notification process and timeframe.
- Once your Labor Relations Section Staff member and the union (if applicable) have approved the draft, the Agency Director should sign and approve it.
- Forward a copy to Labor Relations Section Staff member and your Human Resources Consultant.
- Communicate the new policy to your staff.
Policies templates that apply to all employees including exempt:
Policies templates that apply to classified non-represented employees: