You are here

Home » Services » Surplus » Dispose of Surplus » Common questions about disposing of surplus

Common questions about disposing of surplus


 Contact Information


Surplus Disposal

  • (360) 407-1917


What is the Surplus Operations program?

Surplus Operations receives and redistributes surplus items from state and public agencies to other state agencies, governmental entities and private non-profit organizations. Part of the Department of Enterprise Services, Surplus Operations operates under the statutory authority of Revised Code of Washington 43.19.1919.

How do I surplus my items?

You will need to submit a request using our online property disposal system. The system requires a login ID and password. If you do not have a login, contact us at (360) 407-1917 to get signed up.

Once you submit a request, it will be assigned a surplus authority number within 24 hours. At that time we will also assign an action to be taken:

  • Will Inspect – There is a question as to how best to sell your item. Someone from Surplus Operations will visit your site to make a determination on how it should be sold.
  • Will Sell at Agency Location – The item will remain where it is and be sold online.
  • Will Pick Up – The item will be picked up within 30 days.
  • Requests Agency Ship to Surplus – You will need to make arrangements to ship the item to our warehouse.
  • Requests Agency Sell – You can sell the item directly.
  • Other – This is used to allow you to donate the item, or for other types of disposal not covered by the above actions.

You are able to check the status of your disposal request at any time by logging into the property disposal system.

To assist us in processing your surplus requests in a timely manner, please help us by doing the following:

  • Store all items you are disposing in one location for easy pickup.
  • Separate laptops and LCD projectors from other surplus items.
  • For vehicles and other titled equipment:
    • Send the title as soon as the disposal request is approved to: Surplus Operations at 7511 New Market Street, Mailstop 41030, Tumwater, WA 98504.
    • Sign the title, but do not date it.
    • If the vehicle has a rebuilt title, send the damage report with the title.
    • If the vehicle is to be picked up by Surplus, ensure it is easily accessible.
    • Note any mechanical defects in the comments section of the disposal request (i.e. bad transmission, engine worn out, etc.).

Are there times when I don’t have to use a disposal request?

Agencies do not have to submit a request to make inventory adjustments for items that were lost, stolen or destroyed by fire. Adjustments made under these circumstances should be handled within each agency. Keep in mind that your agency is responsible for maintaining its own equipment inventory records.

Can I give my surplus to another state agency?

Surplus property can be transferred from one state agency to another without charge if:

  • The owning agency wishes to do so (this is not mandatory).
  • The item has a fair market value less than $500.

A disposal request is not required for this process, but the agency should keep internal records. For more information on this process, see RCW 43.19.1919.

Can I donate surplus items?

Yes, you can donate to the following:

  • Rehabilitation workshops (such as Salvation Army, Goodwill, Volunteers of America, etc.).
  • Eligible homeless shelters.

You must submit a disposal request and receive a surplus authority number to donate items. For more information, see Washington Administrative Code 200-360-010.

What about software?

With the exception of a central processing unit’s (CPU) originally installed operating system (i.e., DOS, Windows, etc.), we cannot accept computer software. Many items at Surplus Operations are sold to the general public, so any software or sensitive data left on a hard drive could potentially be retrieved. It is your agency’s responsibility to remove such software and/or data.

Agencies that wish to dispose of computer software should check their software vendor contract for disposition information. If such guidance is not available, the software may be scrapped. Agencies have delegated authority to dispose of scrap materials, so no disposal request is required. However, agencies should retain internal documentation.

When sending a computer to Surplus Operations that has been completely cleared (hard drive format or partition), please indicate the unit’s original operating system on the disposal request. If you have questions concerning our software policy, please contact us.

What about hazardous materials?

Surplus Operations cannot accept hazardous or toxic waste. These items include:

  • Asbestos
  • Batteries
  • Flammable or toxic liquids
  • Paints and coatings
  • Pesticides and fertilizers
  • Radioactive materials
  • Used oil

For a complete listing of hazardous materials, visit the Department of Ecology. When these items are declared surplus, your agency is responsible to ensure they are disposed of properly. If your agency does not have an established contract for hazardous waste disposal, please see our contracts search tool for current state contracts. You may also contact us if you have questions.

What is scrap, and what do I do with it?

State agencies have delegated authority to dispose of unusable or broken property, so no disposal request is required. However, agencies should retain internal documentation.

This action should not be confused with scrap metal that is collected for recycling. This material is generally sold on site or picked up by a state contract vendor. For more information on scrap metal recycling, please contact us.