This course is an in-depth introduction to ArcGIS 9.x and is geared for both new and experienced GIS users. You will benefit from this course if you specialize in natural resources, by learning the core functionality of ArcGIS and advanced topics. Class examples and exercises include timber management and wildlife scenarios, using data about timber sales, fuels, vegetation, streams and owl habitat from the Siuslaw National Forest, the Wenatchee National Forest and the Florida Panther Wildlife Refuge.
Performance Objectives: Upon completion of this course you should be able to:
- Understand the fundamental GIS concepts.
- Understand the ArcGIS interface and operation.
- Understand ArcGIS functions of querying database and manipulating and editing spatial data.
- Effectively use ArcMap™ and ArcCatalog™
- Use Geoprocessing tools and ArcToolbox™ for analysis.
- Effectively present data in maps and charts.
Competencies covered in this course:: Geographic Information Systems
Intended Audience: Public sector employees.