This course is for those technical writers who are looking for the next level of skill development. It is designed to help you gain confidence as you learn key proofreading concepts for every form of technical writing – especially for reports and manuals.
Note: This course supports Plain Talk principles.
Performance Objectives: Upon completion of this course you should be able to:
- Proofread for major and minor grammatical errors to include pronouns, subject-verb agreement, parallel structure, phrases, modifiers, references, and double negatives.
- Proofread for grammar rules we sometimes break for clarity and reading ease.
- Proofread for proper word choices over the “nearly right” words. Proofread for correct punctuation usage for the ampersand, brackets, bullets, colons, commas, dashes, diagonals, ellipsis, hyphens, parentheses, and semicolons.
- Proofread for accurate plural spelling and dealing with abbreviations.
- Proofread for issues related to regulations and legal documents.
- Proofread for software, revision, textual, and non-text errors.
Competencies covered in the course: Written Communication
Intended Audience: Public sector technical writers; executive and administrative assistants for engineers, researchers, and scientists; technical office staff; and other professionals who proofread a variety of technical documents.