If you need to create, re-vamp or maintain a website, and you need background knowledge and a few useful skills and tips, this class is for you. This class will discuss the fundamentals of what it takes to create a website from scratch and maintain it. We will discuss: the process of creating websites, terms, principles, converting images for the web, different types of website software and more. We will walk through the process of creating a very simple website.
Class format includes lecture, hands-on exercises, and real world examples.
Performance Objectives: Upon completion of this course you should be able to:
- Understand the process of creating a website from scratch
- Understand important fundamental website lingo such as: “domain, URL, FTP” etc.
- Be familiar different software options for creating websites and learn the pros and cons of each
- Explain best practices & guidelines for planning a website (and why people leave websites)
- Discuss navigation techniques and terminology
- Analyze a website and critique what “works” and what doesn’t
- Understand the concept of Search Engine Optimization (SEO)
- Use “usability” principles and a checklist to help you create user-friendly sites
- Learn about integrating social media on a website
- Be able to create a simple website
Competencies covered in this course: Web design principles.
Intended Audience: This course is ideal for anyone, but especially communications professionals, who are involved in the conception, visual appeal and ease of use of web content.
Recommended Pre-requisite: None