A manager’s job is to achieve planned results through their employees. If those employees are skilled and motivated, their job is relatively easy. If they are not skilled and motivated, the manager’s job is to develop their abilities and enhance their motivations. One important tool for developing employees is thru coaching. Managers use coaching for a variety of purposes.
Performance Objectives: Upon completion of this course you should be able to:
- Describe the nature of coaching and how it differs from mentoring and training.
- Explain the theory of coaching.
- Demonstrate an ability to facilitate learning in others.
- Demonstrate an ability to develop powerful coaching questions.
- Describe a strategy for using coaching to develop a positive work environment.
- Demonstrate an ability to use questions to help an employee learn from experience.
Intended Audience: Public sector managers, supervisors and lead workers