Exterior Repairs Project: The West Campus Historic Buildings Exterior Repairs project included repair and preservation work on the Temple of Justice, Cherberg, Legislative, Insurance, Pritchard, and O’Brien buildings. Project work included a condition assessment, preservation plan, and design and construction for repairs to the buildings. The work also included cleaning, needed to detect masonry defects and repair needs.
- Cleaning on the Temple of Justice building was completed in April, 2017.
- Masonry repair work was completed in June, 2017. Much of the masonry repair work focused on the building’s parapet walls, which have been a historic source of water leaks.
- Learn more about steps Enterprise Services is taking to address water leaks in state-owned buildings.
Other past projects
- An interior security project was completed in was completed in March of 2018. This project created a more clearly defined separation between public space and the support offices for the Court as well as providing a higher level of security at the Clerk’s reception desk.
- Significant repairs were made to the Temple's parapet and roof structure following the April 13, 1949 Nisqually earthquake. Repairs included reinforcing the stone clad masonry roof parapets. Structural work extended into the roof slab.
- 1989 - The largest modification to the Temple since its construction was a two-year, $15.4 million renovation, completed in 1989, that included improved seismic stability, modernized building systems, altered space use, added offices, and improved increased building circulation with added stairs, elevator and entry improvements, and enhanced security and safety systems.
- 2002 - Following the earthquake of 2000, repairs were made including exterior and interior stone repair, and repair of marble and plaster.
- 2003 - Electrical improvements were added, including removal and replacement of transformers, switchboards, and panel boards. The sump pumps were also replaced.
In spring 1912, Chief Justice R. O. Dunbar presided over the official ground-breaking ceremony for the building. Even though the structure was still under construction, plans were approved in December 1912 to hold the 1913 Inaugural Ball of Ernest Lister, governor-elect, at the Temple. More than eight years after the initial groundbreaking, the three-story, 85,900 square-foot building was accepted as complete even though interior finishing work continued through 1922. A major rehabilitation completed in 1988 improved seismic stability, modernized building systems, altered space use, added offices, and improved increased building circulation with added stairs, elevator and entry improvements, and enhanced security and safety systems. Changes and additions were made to building interior finishes as well.
The Washington State Supreme Court has served as the Temple of Justice's primary tenant throughout the building's history. The Temple also houses associated supportive functions including the Commission of the Court, and the Administrative Office of the Courts.