An introduction to the challenging and ever-changing field of human resources, this overview class will use real-life case studies as a basis for discussing HR’s role and its potential impact on an organization. The class will cover acronyms and jargon used in the profession; the competencies required to be successful as an HR practitioner; an explanation of available HR certifications; and an overview of the HR Certificate program. This course is required prior to attending other HR certification courses. This program has been approved by the HR Certification Institute (HRCI®).
Performance Objectives: Upon completion of this course you should be able to:
- Identify HR acronyms and jargon
- Define human capital and explain its importance to the organization
- Define and explain the role of HR in the following areas and the challenges in each, including:
- Strategic Management
- Workforce Planning and Employment
- Human Resource Development
- Total Rewards
- Employee and Labor Relations
- Risk Management
- Explain the key competencies needed by HR professionals and why certification is important
- Discuss current challenges facing HR
- List common ethical issues faced by HR professionals
- Identify industry certifications
Competencies covered in this course: Human Resource essentials.
Intended Audience: Individuals seeking to enter the field of human resources; non-HR professionals in supervisory roles who have the responsibility for interviewing, training, evaluating, or disciplining employees; and new or experienced managers interested in learning more about efficient employee management skills.