This course covers the foundations of network security. You will learn to analyze and protect your networks from malicious attacks and breaches of confidentiality. You will also gain the skills needed to design networks for compliance with your organization’s standards as well as other government standards and requirements.
NOTE: Security+ maps to the CompTIA certification of the same name, which covers all aspects of security. Major course areas are theory and concepts, cryptography, communication and remote access, policy and incident response.
Performance Objectives: Upon completion of this course you should be able to:
- Discuss access control models (RBAC/MAC/DAC).
- Work with authentication types and methods.
- Identify attack and vulnerability types.
- Manage auditing and logging.
- Defend against malicious software.
- Implement social engineering.
- Secure wireless networks.
- Work with e-mail security.
- Discuss firewall options.
- Use VPN and packet encryption.
- Manage patches.
- Work with IDS (intrusion detection systems).
- Establish physical security.
- Discuss cryptographic theory.
- Work with crypto-algorithms.
- Create PKI/digital certificates.
- Establish policy requirements.
- Design disaster recovery.
- Implement incident response and forensics.
Competencies covered in this course: Security software
Intended Audience: Public sector employees.