What can my Organization Surplus?

Surplus takes many different kinds of good quality reusable items. Everything from pencils to airplanes, and much more in between.

Things we can take

  • Office furniture (in good condition)
  • Office supplies (like items packaged together)
  • Tools
  • Vehicles
  • Heavy Equipment
  • Electronics
  • Exercise equipment
  • Questions? Contact surplusrequest@des.wa.gov

Things we cannot take

Surplus Operations cannot accept broken, expired items or hazardous or toxic waste. These items include but are not limited to:

  • Asbestos
  • Batteries
  • Broken furniture
  • Flammable or toxic liquids
  • Mercury filled thermometers
  • Non-working appliances and/or electronics
  • Paints and coatings
  • Pesticides and fertilizers
  • Radioactive materials
  • Used oil

Visit the Department of Ecology for a complete listing of hazardous materials. When these items are declared surplus, your agency is responsible to ensure they are disposed of properly. If your agency does not have an established contract for hazardous waste disposal, please use our master contract for hazardous waste disposal. You may also contact us if you have questions.

  • With the exception of a central processing unit's (CPU) originally installed operating system (i.e., DOS, Windows, etc.), we cannot accept computer software. Many items at Surplus Operations are sold to the general public, so any software or sensitive data left on a hard drive could potentially be retrieved. It is your agency's responsibility to remove such software and/or data.
  • Agencies that wish to dispose of computer software should check their software vendor contract for disposition information. If such guidance is not available, the software may be scrapped. Agencies have delegated authority to dispose of scrap materials, agencies are still required to submit a disposal request. Per OCIO Requirements 8.3. when sending a computer to Surplus Operations you must wipe and remove all software from the hard drive, please indicate the unit's original operating system on the disposal request.

What to do about scrap

Many of these items can be recycled using our state master contracts.

State agencies have delegated authority to recycle materials (unusable or broken property). Agencies are still required to submit a surplus request.