When an employee retires from state government, certain actions must be taken to ensure all necessary steps are completed properly. Following the steps below ensure the out-processing occurs quickly and efficiently.


Ensure a completed PPDS with the employees last day in paid status is submitted to DES HR along with the employees letter notifying you of their intent to retire. You may also want to utilize the Employee Exit Checklist form to guide you through the out-processing. You will also complete a PEBB eligibility form and provide it to your Payroll department.

Information to Share with Your Employee's

Department of Retirement Systems

Employees who choose to retire must contact the Department of Retirement Systems (DRS). Call 360-664-7000, or 800-547-6657 for planning and balance information. Several online tools including retirement planning seminars, online account access, a benefit estimator, and account balance are available.

Deferred Compensation Program (DCP)

Deferred Compensation Program is supplemental retirement savings program administered by DRS. Their Distribution Booklet provides valuable information on topics including how to defer unused leave cash out, leaving money in the program after separation, fund distribution options and how to request distribution of funds. To determine DCP balances or options, contact DRS at 888-327-5596.


VEBA is a health reimbursement arrangement offered by VEBA Trust. Retiring employees of participating agencies are eligible to receive sick leave cash-out and sign the VEBA Membership Enrollment Form. For additional information visit the VEBA website or call 888-828-4953.

Continued Medical Coverage

Employees who are retiring may be eligible for continued coverage by applying for coverage through Public Employees Benefits Board (PEBB) retiree coverage by calling 360-412-4200, or 800-200-1004.

If you have any questions, please contact the Benefits Specialist or your HR Business Partner.