Online Learning Resources for Workforce Development
Each month, we curate a collection of articles, videos, and other on-demand resources to support workforce learning and performance. Resources are grouped in six learning pathways. View previously posted learning pathway resources and opportunities.
Subscribe to learning resource updates
- Workplace Culture and Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion (DEI)
This training pathway provides DEI learning and growth opportunities to support workplace cultures where inclusion and belonging are centered. These resources offer a range of learning options. The views and opinions expressed in these resources are those of the authors and do not reflect the official policy or position of DES. Learn more about DEI in Washington state from the Office of Financial Management and the Office of Equity.
- Meet Kentucky’s own version of Rosa Parks from decades before. | Opinion (yahoo.com) - article
- 'We need to hear it.' This tour explores Florida's horrific history of racial violence (yahoo.com) - article
- 7 things you didn't know were invented by Black women (yahoo.com) - article
- Globetrotting Black nutritionist Flemmie P. Kittrell revolutionized early childhood education and illuminated 'hidden hunger' (yahoo.com) - article
- Workforce Well-being and Support
Today's employees face many challenges to their well-being that can impact mental health and work performance. Promoting well-being practices and resources in the workplace helps reduce some barriers to seeking care and practicing self-care. In addition to these resources, the Washington State Employee Assistance Program offers support and resources for client organizations.
- Where to Start if you Feel Burned Out at Work - article
- How (and When) to Say No to the Boss - article
- How to Nicely Say 'No' (with 50 Examples) - article
- How to Effectively Manage a Heavy Workload at Work - article
- General Leadership
General leadership development expands the capacity of individuals to perform in supervisory and influencer roles within teams and organizations. DES also offers leadership development training.
- The Definitive Guide to Company Culture - eBook
- The Toxic Culture Gap Shows How Companies are Failing Women - article
- The Leader's Guide to Culture - article
- Creating a Positive and Healthy Work Environment - LinkedIn Learning (57:00)
Self-leadership is the practice of intentionally influencing your thinking, feeling and actions towards your objectives.
- Managing Up: What it is and Why it's Important - article
- How to Manage Your Manager - podcast (27:00)
- A Tactical Guide to Managing Up: 30 Tips from the Smartest People We Know - article
- The Fine Art of Managing Up - article
- Hybrid Work
These resources focus on the future of work in a post-pandemic environment.
Comprehensive, step-by-step instruction on how to effectively understand, use, and master tasks such as how to use computer apps (e.g., Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, OneNote, etc.) as well as manual skills (e.g., how to use a fire extinguisher, lift a box, etc.).
- Learn Power BI - Training from Microsoft - other
- Power BI Tutorial for Beginners - Basics and Beyond - YouTube video (00:42:54)
- Power BI Tutorial from Beginner to Pro - YouTube video (01:03:30)
- Power BI Tutorial: What is Power BI? Why Use? DAX Examples - other