Leaving State Service


When an employee leaves state service or retires from state government, certain actions must be taken. Before an employee's last day, your supervisor is required to fill out the Employee Exit Checklist form and the Personnel/Payroll Data Sheet (PPDS) form on your behalf. These forms will provide information to the areas of the agency that need to be aware of your departure.  Work with your HR liaison to complete these worksheets.

Before your departure, schedule to meet with your supervisor to:

  • Verify leave balances and eligibility for payment of unused vacation leave.
  • Cancel pre-authorized payroll deductions (Flexible Spending, Dependent Care, Auto/Home Insurance).
  • Make sure your address is current.

There are several resources available to you before, during and after separation. Be sure to familiarize yourself with what state, local government or non-profit organizations have to offer.


The decision to retire is an important one. When you’re ready, you will need to submit a letter notifying your employer of your retirement plan and the date you intend to retire. You will need to decide what you will do regarding your retirement and savings plan participation and contributions.

Employees who choose to retire must contact the Department of Retirement Systems (DRS). Call 360-664-7000, or 800-547-6657 for planning and balance information. Several online tools including retirement planning seminars, online account access, a benefit estimator, and account balance are available.

Retiring Employees Continued Medical Coverage
Employees who are retiring may be eligible for continued coverage by applying for coverage through Public Employees Benefits Board (PEBB) retiree coverage by calling 360-412-4200, or 800-200-1004.

Voluntary Employees’ Beneficiary Association (VEBA) Plan
VEBA is a health reimbursement arrangement offered by VEBA Trust. Retiring employees of VEBA participating agencies will be eligible to receive sick leave cash-out and sign the VEBA Membership Enrollment Form. For additional information visit the VEBA website or call (888) 828-4953.

Deferred Compensation Program (DCP)
Deferred Compensation Program is supplemental retirement savings program administered by DRS. Their Distribution Booklet provides valuable information on topics including how to defer unused leave cash out, leaving money in the program after separation, fund distribution options and how to request distribution of funds. To determine DCP balances or options, contact DRS at (888) 327-5596.

Leaving State Service

The decision to leave state service can be a hard one. It is recommended to send a resignation letter to your employer indicating your last day in paid status. Your vacation will be cashed our on your final paycheck as long as you have been employed with the state for 6 continuous months (WAC 357-31-225) but your sick leave will remain on the books for 5 years. If you are re-employed within 5 years from your separation date your unused sick leave balance will be restored (WAC 357-31-160)

Benefits after Separation

You will need to decide if you will want to continue your health insurance coverage. Depending on your situation, you may be eligible to self-pay for insurance continuation under the Consolidated Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act (COBRA). COBRA enrollment is required within 60 days of separation. Additional information regarding COBRA can be found through the Public Employees Benefits Board (PEBB) or by calling 360-412-4200 or 800-200-1004. If you are eligible for COBRA, you must complete the COBRA Continuation of Coverage Election form and submit it to the PEBB Program.

Private Insurance Coverage Options

Get help finding health care coverage for you and your family using a free service offered by the Office of the Insurance Commissioner, call 800-562-6900.


For information about filing for unemployment, visit the Employment Security Department website or call 800-318-6022. You will find frequently asked questions and additional Unemployment Information.

If you have any questions, please contact your HR Business Partner or DES Benefits Specialist.