In addition to state surplus items, some organizations may also qualify to receive property the federal government no longer needs. These items can be viewed online at GSAXcess.gov or GSA Auctions with the correct access rights, and in person at our Tumwater warehouse. Enterprise Services Surplus Operations also manages the following federal programs:
Personal Property Program
Organizations that can participate in this program include:
- State and public agencies
- Nonprofit educational and public health agencies
- Nonprofit and public programs for the elderly
- Service Educational Activities (SEA's) such as the Girl Scouts, Boy Scouts, and American Red Cross
- Providers of assistance to the impoverished
- Small Business Administration's (SBA) 8(a) contractor firms
- Veteran Owned Small Businesses (VOSB)
- Service Disabled Veteran Owned Small Businesses (SDVOSB)
View current federal personal property inventory.
Participation in the program may require recipients to pay a service charge to cover handling, transportation, and administrative expenses. These charges are based partly on the value of the property. For more information on eligibility requirements, see eligible organizations and activities. You can also contact us at (360) 407-2275 for details on how your organization can participate.
Veterans Small Business Enhancement Act
In March 2021, the Small Business Administration (SBA) released a Memorandum of Agreement (MOA) between the SBA, U.S. General Services Administration (GSA) and the Department of Enterprise Services Surplus Operations program to implement the Veterans Small Business Enhancement Act of 2018. The act enables eligible veteran owners of small businesses to participate in the Federal Personal Property Program.
Owners of small veteran-owned businesses can now access federal surplus property available in the Federal Personal Property Program.
To access the Federal Personal Property Program there are two steps
- Register with the U.S. Veterans Administration at email@example.com.
- Then contact DES at firstname.lastname@example.org to receive an eligibility packet.
After receiving access rights, Federal Personal Property items can be viewed online at GSAXcess.gov or Federal Surplus.
About the act
On April 16, 2018, the Veterans Small Business Enhancement Act of 2018, (S.2679), was introduced to amend the Small Business Act directing the SBA to give access to and manage the distribution of U.S.-owned surplus property, pursuant to a memorandum of agreement between the SBA, GSA, and the head of the state agency for surplus properties, to small businesses owned and controlled by veterans. On January 3, 2019, President Trump signed the bill into law (Public Law No. 115-416).
For more information, please contact email@example.com.
Law Enforcement Support Program (formerly 1033)
The National Defense Authorization Act authorizes the Secretary of Defense to transfer excess Department of Defense personal property to federal, state, and local law enforcement agencies.
The Department of Enterprise Services is the authorized coordinator that operates the Law Enforcement Support Office (LESO) Program in Washington state. DES reviews and approves requests for surplus military property and tracks the equipment once it is transferred to law enforcement agencies as is stated in the Memorandum of Agreement between DES and the Defense Logistics Agency.
Among our responsibilities is certification of those government agencies whose primary function is:
- Enforcing applicable federal, state, and local laws and
- Whose compensated officers have powers of arrest and apprehension
For more information on this program:
- LESO in Washington state
- See an inventory of LESO property in Washington state updated quarterly (Choose "Alaska - Wyoming U.S. Territories" and find the "Washington" tab at the bottom of the spreadsheet to see items in Washington State)
- LESO Program Compliance Review
- Read the Memorandum of Agreement between DES and the Defense Logistics Agency
- 1033 Program frequently asked questions
- See Law Enforcement Support Office (LESO)
- Contact DES Surplus Operations at (360) 801-2236
Washington State Plan of Operation
Learn more about the Washington State Plan of Operation for the Federal Surplus Property Program.
In need of a generator to power large-scale water filtration projects, JJH Earthworks turned to DES and the federal surplus program available to veterans who own small businesses.