Small Works Roster

The Small Works Roster is a list of Washington licensed contractors that public agencies can use to ask for public works bids on projects of $350,000 or less.

On July 1, 2024, DES is switching to the statewide small works roster through MRSC. You must register for the statewide roster to continue receiving small works opportunities after June 30.

Join the Small Works Roster

What is the Small Works Roster?

  • List of licensed contractors who apply.
  • Used for projects under $350,000.
  • Reduces cost of bidding small projects.
  • Makes it easier for contractors to compete for public works projects.

Do I qualify?

  • Verify your status with the Department of Labor & Industries
  • Be bonded by a surety. There are three types:
    • Performance and payment bonds – required on contracts greater than $150,000.
    • Bid bonds – required on bid day.
    • Retainage bonds – requirements vary.
  • Be insured.
  • Have a Washington Unified Business Identifier (UBI) number.

How do I apply?

  • Applyfor the DES Small Works Roster.
    • UBI number required.
    • Open all year — apply at any time.
  • Keep your contact information up to date to receive notifications.

What happens after I submit my application?

  • DES will review your application and reach out:
    • if there’s anything missing,
    • if you don’t qualify, or
    • to confirm you’re on the Small Works Roster.
  • Then, wait for bidding opportunities.

How do I bid?

Wait for a bid notification, then:

  1. Respond for specific project documents.
  2. Attend a pre-bid walk through.
  3. Review the project manual and instructions to bidders.
  4. Fill out the bid form.
  5. Submit the bid form.
  6. Wait. DES will:
    • Open bids within two days.
    • Contact the successful low bidder.

If selected, when do I start?

Once selected,

  • Submit supplemental criteria.
  • Provide bonding and insurance information.

Then, DES will send you a Notice to Proceed (NTP), or a partial NTP for proprietary products that need to be ordered early.

How do I submit for payment?

  • Complete and submit the Invoice Voucher - Form A-19.
  • Submit the Notice of Completion.
    • DES will issue Final Acceptance, starting 45-day lien period.
  • After 45 days, DES will process retainage if releases are provided by:
    • Department of Labor & Industries
    • Department of Revenue
    • Employment Security Department

Steps for project closeout

  • The Architect/Engineer (A/E) will issue a Letter of Substantial Completion.
    • Excludes corrective or punch list items.
  • Complete punch list, including:
    • field authorizations,
    • change order proposals, and
    • change orders.
  • Submit the Certificate of Substantial Completion

Non-licensed contractors

The Small Works Roster is for Washington licensed contractors. If your firm is not required to have a contractor’s license, learn how to receive notice for other bid opportunities.

Changes to the Small Works Roster

Contact us

Small Works Roster