State Vehicle Frequently Asked Questions

A list of questions to help Washington state employees who are driving state-owned vehicles.


What should I do if I have a dead battery, I am locked out of my vehicle or have a tire blowout?

Roadside assistance is available for all 'M’ plate vehicles.

Call Fleet Rescue Road Service at 866-329-3471. You will be required to provide the following:

  • WEX Card number and expiration date (charges are billed to the card so you will not receive an invoice)
  • Your fuel PIN
  • Vehicle description (year, make, model and license plate)
  • Phone number you are calling from

If Fleet Rescue Road Service is unable to get the vehicle running, have them tow the vehicle to:

  • In Thurston County: DES Fleet Operations Fones Road facility Address: 1312 Fones Road SE Bldg. 4, Olympia, WA. 98501
    Phone: 800-542-6840
  • Outside Thurston County: The nearest repair facility or dealership. A list of authorized vendors can be found in the vehicle glove box. Please call DES Fleet Operations for further instructions at 800-542-6840. If calling after business hours (6:30 a.m. - 5:30 p.m. Monday to Friday) leave a message.
I was in an accident or noticed body damage to a vehicle. What do I do?
  • If other parties are involved, call the police, and emergency medical services if necessary
  • Move the vehicle out of the roadway. If you are unable to move it, call Roadside Assistance at (866) 329-3471. (This number can also be found on the fuel card holder and in the vehicle glove box.)

  • Obtain information from the other drivers (driver's license and insurance information) and names of any witnesses.
  • DO NOT discuss 'fault' or make statements about the accident to anyone but the police.
  • Complete the accident report found in the brochure from the CEI Group in the glove box.
  • Call the CEI Group at 877-443-5777.
  • Notify DES Fleet Operations at 800-542-6840 as soon as possible.
  • Follow your agency's internal accident policy.
What information should I provide to a third-party driver or their insurance company if they contact me?
  • You should refer them to the Department of Enterprise Services (DES) Fleet Operations, Office of Risk Management at 360-407-9199. They will respond to inquiries and/or handle any tort claims.
What do I do if the windshield or windows on the state vehicle are damaged?
  • Contact our Maintenance Shop at 800-542-6840 for guidance on where to go and which vendor can help you.
Can I get another vehicle while mine is being repaired?
  • In Thurston County: call DES Fleet Operations at 360-664-9215. Give them the license plate number ("M" plate) of the vehicle being repaired, inform them of the situation and a loaner will be issued.
  • Outside Thurston County: call DES Fleet Operations at 800-542-6840 to find the location of the nearest loaner vehicle.
Will DES Fleet Operations supply studded tires?
  • NO. The use of studded tires are not authorized for use on DES Fleet vehicles due to increased wear on state roads. DES vehicles are equipped with all-season radials, snow, or mud and snow (M/S) tires. Agencies may purchase ice or snow tires at agency expense and are responsible for storing extra tires when not in use. DES Fleet Operations will pay for the mounting/dismounting of tires.
I'm headed over the mountains and the pass requires chains, but there are none in the vehicle and I'm not sure if the vehicle takes chains. What do I do?
  • Chains may be requested by submitting a tire chain request. We need all of the information on the form in order to process your request.
What do I do if I get a traffic or parking ticket?
  • The state driver is personally liable and responsible for any parking/traffic tickets and impounding. DES Fleet Operations receives a copy of the ticket and notifies the ATO (Agency Transportation Officer).
Is it true that a state vehicle will not get a ticket if you park in front of a meter because it has a state decal?
  • DES Fleet Operations vehicles do not have special privileges and must adhere to all parking regulations. If a driver receives a parking ticket while driving a state vehicle, it is the driver's responsibility to pay the fine.
How do I get the car washed?
  • Go to a co-located car wash and gas station that accepts the WEX Card. Purchase a car wash at the pump when you are paying for fuel.
  • If a car wash business can bill Fleet Operations directly for their services and they have a statewide vendor number, fleet can pay the bill.
  • If the car wash business does not wish to bill for services, drivers can elect to pay for the car wash at their or the agency expense and submit for credit or reimbursement. There are a few car wash businesses that require DES Fleet vehicles be on their list of approved vehicles, the largest business being Mister Car Wash.