In its simplest form, a policy is a written record of a workplace rule. They form the framework from which consistent decisions can be made across your agency. Benjamin Franklin said it best, "Honesty is the best policy." While that holds true, you do need a little more substance.
What do you need to do?
- Find out what policies are required and recommended by OFM State HR.
- Create your own agency policy. If you would like to use a DES HR policy as a template, contact the DES HR Policy Coordinator.
- Have your Management Team meet to review, discuss, and suggest edits.
- If any edits are made, please send the draft to your Labor Relations Section Staff for their approval.
- If your agency has represented employees, please refer to their Collective Bargaining Agreement for instruction on their notification process and time frame.
- Once your Labor Relations Section Staff member and the union (if applicable) have approved the draft, the Agency Director should sign and approve it.
- Forward a copy to Labor Relations Section Staff member.
- Communicate the new policy to your staff.