Small Agency Services Bulletin – April 2023
|Important Dates||Important Messages||Small Agency Financial Services News||Travel Tips||Contact Us|
Your feedback is important
Please send your feedback about the Department of Enterprise Services' (DES) Small Agency Financial Services (SAFS). Your feedback helps us improve and better meet your needs. Finance welcomes your feedback at any time.
- To reflect in your agency's monthly financial statements, all invoices and travel reimbursement requests are due to Accounts Payable.
- DES SAFS presents "Fiscal Year-End" and "2023-25 Biennial Allotments" workshop.
- Donations for shared leave are due.
- Replenish petty cash per SAAM.
- Obtain list of assets in the Capital Asset Management System (CAMS). If needed, complete a physical inventory.
- Use compensatory time. The remaining balance will be cashed out on the July 10 paycheck (represented employees only).
- All services must be rendered and tangible goods must be received.
Correctional Industries (CI) - end of year cut-off dates
CI has identified the following cutoff dates for FY23 furniture orders requiring delivery by June 30, 2023.
Order Cut-Off Dates
- Sit-To-Stand riser orders – April 28, 2023
- Fast Fulfillment orders* – June 1, 2023
* Applies to in-stock Fast Fulfillment items only. Orders must be placed via CI website.
Time to think about the end of the fiscal year/biennium
- All fiscal year 2023 travel reimbursement requests should be submitted within one month after travel.
- All purchases of goods and services must be received (in possession) by June 30, 2023 to be posted to FY23.
Time to think about supplemental budget allotments and biennial budget allotments
- After the legislative session, your agency may need to amend your allotments to reflect legislative changes. Allotment amendments are due for expenditure, revenue, cash receipts and cash disbursement revisions related to 2023 supplemental changes and 2023-25 biennial budget allotments. Your DES Budget Analyst will contact you soon after the legislative session to discuss adjustments.
- If your board or commission needs to approve your allotments for the new FY23 supplemental budget or 2023-25 biennial budget, start talking with your Budget Analyst to draft versions of your budget to accommodate your commission schedule and create a plan.
IRS Tax Withholding Estimator
Not happy with either getting too much back from or having to pay too much into the IRS?
The IRS has a tool to help you estimate the federal income tax you want your employer to withhold from your paycheck. See how your withholding affects your refund, take-home pay, or tax due.
DES SAFS will present our "Fiscal Year-End" and "2023-25 Biennial Allotment" workshop June 1 from 2-3 p.m.
This workshop will cover all you need to know about fiscal year-end accounting close such as:
- Important dates and deadlines
- Payroll items & dates
- Cash receipts & receivable accruals
- Purchases, paying invoices, travel
- Expenditure accruals
We'll also help you prepare for the 2023-2025 biennial allotments
- Accounting for Capital Assets and Small and Attractive Assets
- Completing required disclosure forms
- Allotment process
- What to expect from us
- What we need from you
- Timeline of due dates
- FY24 supplemental budget info
A question and answer period will follow. If you have specific questions or topics you would like to see covered, please email: Ian.Shelley@des.wa.gov.
SAFS (Small Agency Financial Services) Team Updates
Did you know? Your DES financial support team consists of ALL of our SAFS team members. Even though you may work with specific SAFS members regularly, other SAFS members often step in to assist and provide continuity of services. We would like you to know about our whole SAFS team. Below is a list of each work group within SAFS, the members you may hear from, and recent news or a message from each team.
|Team||Members News / Message|
Daffodil fact: Daffodils contain sap that's often poisonous to other plants. To mix them with other flowers in a vase, soak them in water for 24 hours first to remove the sap.
Daffodil fact: There are more than 25,000 varieties. Learn more on the America Daffodil Society Website.
Daffodil fact: History shares stories of daffodils being a healing plant (e.g., induce vomiting, treat skin ailments, topically treat tumors, and the roots treat wounds).
Daffodil fact: If daffodils stop blooming, they need divided. Once the foliage has died in late spring, dig up the entire plant. Separate the bulbs and store in separate bags. Replant in the fall.
Daffodil fact: Wild daffodils (Narcissus pseudonarcissus) are sometimes called Lent Lilies, as they commonly bloom and die back between Ash Wednesday and Easter Sunday.
DES Accounts Payable statistics for Mar. 2023 (34 agencies served)
|Invoices Received from Agency||1,869||78.66%||$13,362,862|
|Invoices Paid on Delegated Authority||391||16.46%||$1,004,596|
|Travel Requests Paid through TEMS||113||4.76%||$28,896|
|Payments Reissued (SOL, Lost Warrant)||3||0.13%||$80,151|
|Total Payments Processed||2,376||100%||$14,476,504|
DES Payroll statistics for Mar. 2023 (42 agencies served)
|Total Employees Paid||1,533|
|New Hires / Rehires||25|
|Transfer In / Transfer Outs||7|
|Supplemental Payments / Walkthroughs||0|
Quarterly DES Accounts Receivable statistics for Jan-Mar (32 agencies served)
|Expenditure Reductions Recorded||196||$6,134,072|
|Accounts Receivable FTEs Completing the Work||2.26|
Fiscal year end is coming! Now is a good time to start tying up loose ends.
- Travel requests pending reimbursement? Get those requests submitted!
- New commissioners or board members? Fill out and submit a statewide vendor form before they travel, so they can be paid in a timely manner upon return!
- Travelers without a TEMS profile? Sign up here: TEMS Access Request Form
If you would like to know what budget analyst, payroll analyst and HR business partner is assigned to your agency, see our Agency Assignments webpage.
If you would like to get contact information for DES SAFS and HR staff, see our Contacts webpage.
If you have suggestions or feedback about the Small Agency Services Bulletin, please send your comments to SmallAgencyBulletin@des.wa.gov.