This course provides you with an understanding of what assertive communication is and why it is crucial to develop an assertive behavior on the job. Assertive communication does not mean being abrasive or insensitive. It is an honest, direct, tactful approach to communicating effectively with anyone including managers, supervisors, co-workers, employees, and the public. The skills taught in this course are designed to help you present yourself and your ideas in a more positive and professional manner.
Performance Objectives: Upon completion of this course, you should be able to:
- Identify different communication styles.
- Confront others in an effective and constructive way.
- Recognize when boundaries have been crossed.
- Discuss when and how to say “no.”
- Give and receive feedback from others.
- Identify and apply assertive communication skills.
Competencies Covered: Communicating effectively, tact and diplomacy
Intended Audience: Public sector employees who want to improve their communication skills