Listening is a skill that we use every day in our personal and professional lives. Though it may seem like a simple task, listening effectively can be quite difficult. This training will teach you the value of listening, how to overcome obstacles to effective listening, and how to use empathic statements to encourage the speaker. By the end of this training, you will be able to listen completely, identify and minimize distractions, and respond with clarifying questions.
Why is Listening Important? We live in a world where we are constantly bombarded with noise – both external and internal. In order to be successful, both personally and professionally, it is essential that we learn to filter out this noise and focus on what is being said.
Listening is important for a number of reasons:
- It allows us to fully understand the message that someone is trying to communicate.
- It helps to build trust and rapport.
- It shows that we respect the speaker.
- It prevents miscommunication and misunderstanding.
Objectives - Learners will be able to:
- Listen completely
- Identify their own, personal obstacles and minimize external and internal distractions
- Recognize when their obstacles are impacting their own listening
- Develop and use a positive mindset for each interaction
Competencies - Builds relationships, fosters teamwork and collaboration, self-awareness and commitment to growth, personal skill development, personal and professional development, improves morale and job satisfaction.
Intended Audience: Public sector employees