The Department of Enterprise Services (DES) Technology Leasing Program helps state agencies and public institutions of higher education avoid large cash outlays by spreading the costs associated with procuring desktop and laptop personal computers, monitors, printers, servers, storage devices, network infrastructure, phones and peripherals, and conferencing equipment across two or three biennial budgets.
While the Office of Financial Management sets standard life cycles for specific systems, industry analysts say effective leasing strategies can reduce technology costs by up to 15 percent.
With the DES leasing program, agencies have a cost-effective solution for:
- Replacing old or obsolete systems
- Obtaining new systems to meet new requirements
- Managing assets
This approach helps our customers meet state technology standards while reducing costs associated with asset management and procurement.
- 24- to 60-month lease terms for equipment with a total purchase value of $5,000 or more.
- State agencies can replace large up-front cash outlays with fixed operational expenses – making budgeting easier.
- Warranty services are provided by manufacturers or equipment vendors.
- DES provides asset management but can transfer ownership to the leasing entity when the lease expires.
- The Technology Leasing Program redistributes end-of-lease computers to Washington schools through the Computers for Kids program, if state agencies choose to transfer computer ownership to DES.
- For assets that have reached their end of useful life, DES provides disposal practices that keep cyber information safe and are environmentally friendly.
- Agencies have increased flexibility in services and equipment lease.
To obtain these services, eligible organizations must enter into a Customer Service Agreement (CSA) with DES.
How do we charge?
Leasing rates are based on:
- The principle — or actual price of the system.
- The interest rates issued by the State Treasurer for Certificate of Participation (COP) agreements.
- Plus a $1.75 per system, per month DES management/administrative fee for individual systems under $5,000.00, or $5.75 per system, per month for individual systems $5,000.00 or more.
For more information
For help with technology leasing, please contact Aaron Pittelkau at (360) 407-8712.