Proofreading Skills Review
NOTE: This course supports the principles of Plain Talk.
Performance Objectives: Upon completion of this course you should be able to:
- Proofread for major and minor grammatical errors: correct pronoun usage, subject/verb agreement, phrases, modifiers, and double negatives. Proofread for grammar rules we sometimes break for clarity and reading ease.
- Select proper word choices over the “nearly right” words.
- Correct punctuation usage for the ampersand, brackets, bullets, colons, commas, dashes, diagonals, ellipsis, hyphens, parentheses, and semicolons.
- Proofread for accurate plural spelling and dealing with abbreviations.
- Proofread for software, revision, textual, and non-text errors.
Competencies covered in this class: Written Communication
Intended Audience: Public sector executive and administrative assistants, office staff, and other professionals who proofread a variety of written documents.