Human Resource Essentials
An introduction to the challenging and ever-changing field of human resources, this overview class will use real-life case studies as a basis for discussing HR’s role and its potential impact on an organization. The class will cover acronyms and jargon used in the profession; the competencies required to be successful as an HR practitioner; an explanation of available HR certifications; and an overview of the HR Certificate program.
This course is a recommended prerequisite to attending other HR certification courses and is designed around HRCI® and SHRM exam content areas to prepare for the examination.
Performance Objectives: Upon completion of this course, you should be able to:
- Identify HR acronyms and jargon.
- Define human capital and explain its importance to the organization.
- Define and explain the role of HR in the following areas and the challenges in each, including:
- Strategic management,
- Workforce planning and employment,
- Human resource development,
- Total rewards,
- Employee and labor relations,
- Risk management.
- Explain the key competencies needed by HR professionals and why certification is important.
- Discuss current challenges facing HR.
- List common ethical issues faced by HR professionals.
- Identify industry certifications.
Competencies Covered: Human resources
Intended Audience: Individuals seeking to enter the field of human resources; non-HR professionals in supervisory roles who have the responsibility for interviewing, training, evaluating, or disciplining employees; and new or experienced managers interested in learning more about efficient employee management skills.