Writing Skills for Public Sector Professionals
Gain reliable skills for any writing task. Respond to requests for information, engage, and inform customers and colleagues. Reduce risk and conflict with clear communication. Use a user-focused writing process to plan and write high-quality daily work and special projects.
Performance Objectives: Upon completion of this course, you should be able to:
- Assess your users: you’ll receive job aids to do this in the flow of your own work.
- Develop personas.
- Plan your documents using planning checklists and customer focus sheets.
- Align your writing to your business objectives and users’ needs.
- Use information design thinking to meet customers’ and colleagues’ information needs.
- Write accessible content without error or ambiguity.
- Convey ideas in simple, clear language.
- Include only important, relevant information.
- Write brief, informative, friendly, firm messages to reduce or resolve conflict.
- Use essential grammar well and help others do the
Competencies covered in this course: Written Communication
Intended Audience: Public sector employees who need to write readable memos and letters