360 Degree Assessment Debriefing
The purpose of the debrief meeting for the leader taking the assessment is to:
- help raise self-awareness of the leader or recipient taking the assessment
- help the recipient understand what the feedback is really saying to them
- help the recipient accept that there is information they need to pay attention to
- identify any areas where they need to take action because of the feedback.
The role of the facilitator is to:
· Facilitate the recipient’s understanding of what the report is saying
- Help the recipient develop a realistic self-perception in relation to the chosen competencies
- Manage defensiveness, excessive self-criticism, over-optimism
- Provide in-the-moment feedback, if appropriate
- Help identify specific development areas
The key elements to look for in the report and to serve as
a focus for the debrief are as follows:
- Overall impression - what are the high-level themes?
- Consistency of the feedback - is the self-assessment in line with others’ feedback? Is there consistent feedback from different types of respondents?
- Key points from the comments - how does the narrative support the ratings?
- Key strengths
- Key development areas