Program & Project Management
Stakeholder Management & Project Governance
Successful completion fulfills 15 Professional Development Units towards SPSCC certificate completion and can be submitted to PMI subject to their audit process.
This 2-day course addresses the basics of stakeholder management and governance as they relate to the project management discipline. It provides a structured introduction to key terms commonly used within the project management discipline. There is a combination of lecture and interactive exercises to give participants technical knowledge and hands on application of theory and best practices. Some topics covered include stakeholder management and engagement processes, organizational structures and how they influence project stakeholder management and governance, and the roles and responsibilities of governing bodies.
Within the Stakeholder Management knowledge area, specific discussion and group projects focus on defining stakeholders, stakeholder analysis, constructing and utilizing a stakeholder register, the relationship between stakeholder management and communications planning, stakeholder engagement assessments, utilization of salience models and other tools, and identifying best practices for stakeholder engagement and management. Within the Project Governance area, specific topics include the governing relationship between projects and programs, principles and methods of effective project governance, roles and responsibilities in project governance, project governance activities and tools.
Performance Objectives: Upon completion of this course, participants should be able to:
- Identify the importance of stakeholders to project success.
- Be able to identify stakeholders associated with a project.
- Relate stakeholder management to the phases of a project’s lifecycle.
- Understand the process and importance of stakeholder analysis.
- Construct and be familiar with a stakeholder register.
- Describe the tools appropriate for managing stakeholder engagement throughout a project.
- Define and apply the principles and methods of effective project governance.
- Understand the essential roles and responsibilities included in project governance.
- Recognize, develop and apply project governance activities and tools.
This course addresses the following knowledge areas identified by the Project Management Body of Knowledge, 7th ed. (PMI):
- Quality Management
- Resource Management
- Scope Management
- Stakeholder Management
- Communications Management
- Project Integration Management
Audience: All interested employees responsible with the planning and management of any type of project.
Virtually Led Trainings: If you’re registering for a virtual training, the classroom link and materials will be sent to you separately within 1-2 business days before the scheduled class date.