Web Design & Usability Techniques
If you want to learn the basic principles of designing websites based on the user’s perspective this course is designed for you. You will learn to maximize the usability of your website projects while also avoiding common pitfalls. All designers and developers can benefit since the focus is on what the user sees, rather than how the content is generated.
Performance Objectives: Upon completion of this course you should be able to:
- Avoid common problems in web design.
- Create accessible Web sites.
- Create designs that focus vital content above the “fold”.
- Design for different monitor resolutions.
- Choose the right image format.
- Select optimal colors.
- Validate good XHTML code.
- Correct structural problems.
- Use server-side includes (SSI) to organize and maintain code templates.
- Apply CSS styles that break down gracefully.
- Apply techniques that enhance usability.
- Design sound navigation techniques.
- Use browser detection scripts.
Competencies covered in this course: Developing software, web sites, web pages
Intended Audience: Public sector employees.
Pre-requisites: HTML: Creating Web Pages - Level 1 & 2 courses, knowledge of Cascading Style Sheets.