HR Leadership Resources
Thank you for agreeing to be part of Leading Others! We appreciate your commitment to learning and to the leaders of Washington State. Not yet signed up to help with Leading Others? Reach out to us at LeadershipDevelopment@des.wa.gov!
What to expect
The class focuses on the attached HR Scenarios on the last day of class in a 2-hour session. Suggested responses in blue text are available to HR professionals and the facilitators, but not the learners. While there may not be time to touch on every scenario, we anticipate the conversations will be rich! Our goal is that through this experience, learners will think about ways to address the many possible facets of complex situations, and better understand the support and partnership available to them through the HR community.
If you have not yet been part of a Leading Others class, we hope you find the following resources helpful.
On-demand Orientation Session (about 10 minutes):
Resources Learners have received:
ELearning modules available free of cost in the Washington State Learning Center (staff from DOH, DOC, ESD, DSHS, DEL and DFW please use your agency’s internal link/single sign-on):
- Civil Service Rules & Labor Relations (about 10 minutes)
- Family Medical Leave Act for Supervisors (about 15 minutes)
- The Hiring Process: Module 1 - Recruitment (about 20 minutes)
- The Hiring Process: Module 2 - Interviewing (about 20 minutes) Note: This module is not yet updated for HB1696, Concerning wage and salary information which took effect July 28, 2019. This new law bans the use of prior pay information when setting pay rates for new hires. If you need further guidance about setting pay rates for new hires, please contact your Human Resource office.
- Pay, Leave & Time (about 15 minutes)
- Performance Plans & Reviews (about 20 minutes)
- Preventing Workplace Violence (about 25 minutes)
- Reasonable Accommodation (about 25 minutes)
- Resolving Performance Issues (about 15 minutes)
- Unlawful Employment Discrimination (about 15 minutes)
If you have any questions, we are here to help! Thank you again for supporting this cohort of new leaders, and Leadership Development in Washington State.