Pedestrian Walkway and Exterior Building Repairs
- Pedestrian walkway (April, 2017): Pedestrian pathways at the four corners at the Old Capitol Building were replaced. The work included installing ramps that comply with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA).
- Exterior Building Repairs (April - June, 2017): Further repairs to the Old Capitol exterior, including masonry work and replacing the building's two large skylights, took place.
- Water intrusion problems (March 2015 - July 2015): A full exterior survey of the building was completed in 2014. Rainwater had been seeping into the building for several years because of inadequate flashing between the walls and roof, and through deteriorated joints between the sandstone blocks that form the exterior walls. The leaks, along with drainage problems around the foundation, were damaging the stone, windows and interior plaster. Work, including repair of collapsed drain lines and installation of new storm-drain cleanouts, replacement of the garage/mechanical room roof, repair of gutters and roof flashing and repair of interior water-damaged plaster, began in March 2015 and was completed in July 2015.
- Interior/Exterior Repairs (May 2016-December 2016): Further exterior work was completed, including cleaning the building exterior, masonry repairs and window restoration.
The building first opened in 1892 and served as the Thurston County Courthouse. The state purchased the building in 1902 for use as the state capitol building. The Washington State Legislature met there until the current Legislative Building opened in 1928. The Old Capitol Building is on the National Register of Historic Places, U.S. Department of the Interior’s list of sites, buildings, and structures regarded as worthy of preservation.