Requirements for Using the Capitol Campus

Enterprise Services has requirements for use of the public areas of the state Capitol Campus. The requirements and guidelines cover a variety of topics, such as meeting room rates, tents, alcohol use, event parking and hanging banners from the Capitol Way pedestrian bridge.

Key summary of the policies

What are the permit application charges?

The charges for a permit application are:

  • $75 – Private Activities.

There is no charge for permits for free-speech activities.

Are there other charges?

Yes. Enterprise Services will charge for services it provides in support of activities. Those rates will vary depending on the activity and level of service. There are also charges for special conditions, such as allowing alcohol use, reserving parking and putting up tents or canopies on the campus. The charges are necessary so the department can recover its costs in providing the services.

Do I have to submit an application in person?

No, you can submit the application online.

Enterprise Services will respond within two working days.

Where can I find the guidelines for an activity at the Capitol Campus?

In addition to learning about planning an event on the Capitol Campus, you can find the requirements and guidelines online.

I want to leave something at a campus war memorial. Do I need a permit?

Permits are not needed for when leaving most items at the war memorial. For example, you do not need a permit to leave a U.S. flags, personal note, memento, wreath or floral bouquet. At our discretion, we may remove certain items. More information about the type of items that can be left at campus war memorials.

Are spontaneous gatherings and flash mobs allowed on campus?

Although we do not require a permit for spontaneous gatherings and flash mobs, you must notify us at least two hours in advance of the start of the activity.

Read our Operation Guidance for Managing Spontaneous Gatherings for more information.

What are the requirements for banners hung from the Capitol Way pedestrian bridge?

Information about bridge banner permit requirements can be found on the Pedestrian Bridge Banner Policy.

What if I have other questions?

Contact the DES Visitor Services office at 360-902-8881 or