A project to clean and repair the historic Capitol Court building's exterior sandstone, replace doors and fully restore the building's wood window frames will begin in early August and last through November. There will be noise, parking and pedestrian impacts as well as dust at times.
The Capitol Court building is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Work on the building will comply with historic preservation requirements. For example, all scaffolding shall be self-supported and shall not attached to the historic building façade.
The building known as the Old Thurston County Courthouse, at the corner of 11th and Capitol Way, was erected in 1930 and designed by local architect Joseph Wohleb. In 1978 the courthouse functions were relocated to Olympia's westside, leaving the building vacant until 1989 when the state entered into a partnership with Lorig Associates to renovate the facility. Renovation was completed in 1991.
Capitol Court was built of Tenino sandstone. The 50,000 square foot, reinforced concrete building stands four stories tall capped by a small rectangular tower and flanked by two story projecting wings. The historic interior features include floors and wainscot of marble, plaster cove ceilings and a grand staircase.
Capitol Court, the name by which the Old Thurston County Courthouse is currently known, is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and the Olympia Heritage Register.