Legal and Effective Hiring for Success
This course will enable you, as managers and supervisors, to understand your role in lawful and effective hiring practices. You will learn various interview and hiring techniques including what information can legally be obtained from applicants in an interview and what interview question can and cannot be asked. Using real life case studies, you will learn how to approach human resource issues such as background and reference checks objectively and with outcome-based perspective. You will better understand the parameters and flexibility of the new Washington State civil service rules.
Performance Objectives: Upon completion of this course you should be able to:
- Identify job-related skills and attributes unique to the open position.
- Post to attract candidates with the highest potential for success.
- Design interview questions to illuminate the best candidate.
- Understand what interview questions may (and may not be asked) and why.
- Know how to properly engage with candidates with disabilities.
- Set expectations for everyone involved to ensure a legal and effective hiring process; and
- Examine how best to communicate with all candidate’s post-selection.
Competencies covered in this class: Design an effective hiring process, avoid litigation landmines, and hire for success!